Mac & Cheese Skillet with Joe Joe’s Sloppy Joe Sauce
8 ounces elbow macaroni
4 Tbsp butter
¼ cup flour
1 ¼ cups half and half
1 ¼ cups whole milk
1 ¼ cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 ¼ cups shredded gruyere cheese
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups pulled pork or chicken
½ cup La Famiglia DelGrosso Joe Joe’s Sloppy Joe Sauce
For the crispy onions:
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour
1 large sweet onion, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Oil for frying
Green onion slices for garnish
If you want creamier mac & cheese, omit baking or bake less. Try other cheeses such as fontina, havarti, or smoked gouda
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in ¼ cup of flour. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook for one minute, continually stirring.
- Gradually whisk in whole milk and half and half. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring continuously until it thickens.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain macaroni, add to cheese mixture, and stir through.
- Pour macaroni and cheese into a cast iron skillet and bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and golden brown on top.
- Heat oil in small pot on high heat.
- Pour buttermilk into a bowl and add sliced onions.
- Place flour in a bowl and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Working in small batches, dredge onions in flour then fry in oil until golden brown.
- Mix pulled pork or chicken with sloppy joe sauce in a small pot and warm on low heat.
- When macaroni and cheese is done, top with meat and crispy onions.
- Garnish with the green part of green onions and serve.