Eggplant Towers with Aunt Mary Ann’s Sunday Marinara
Quick to make
"> Gluten Free
- 2 Large eggplants
- Salt, pepper and granulated garlic to taste
- 1 Jar of La Famiglia DelGrosso Aunt Mary Ann’s Sunday Marinara
- 8 Ounces of fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/3 Cup of grated parmesan cheese
- 8 Ramekins
- Cooking spray
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
As an alternative to using individual ramekins, layers may be prepared in a large baking dish and served by dividing into squares.
- Slice the eggplants into round slices 1/4 inch thick.
- Season with salt and lay on a tray for 1 hour, which will draw the moisture and bitterness out of the eggplant.
- Pat dry then add fresh ground pepper and granulated garlic to taste. (similar to garlic powder)
- Place slices of eggplant in single layer on baking sheets prepared with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Spray each ramekin with cooking spray.
- Place a tablespoon of sauce in bottom of ramekin, place a slice of eggplant on top of the sauce, add 5-6 cubes of fresh mozzarella, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese, and begin layering with eggplant again.
- Repeat this process until the last eggplant is at the top of the ramekin. For the last slice of eggplant that goes on top, just add sauce and parmesan cheese, no mozzarella.
- Place all ramekins on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Allow the eggplant towers to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- Move a knife around the inside edge of the tower in a circular motion to separate any parts of the eggplant that may be sticking to the ramekin, if necessary.
- Place a small plate on top of the ramekin, place one hand on top of the plate and the other holding the ramekin and flip it over. Gently lift the ramekin to release the eggplant tower onto the plate.
- Add grated parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley to garnish.
- The eggplant may be served as an appetizer or can be transferred to your dinner plate as a side dish for your entrée.
- Each tower should have the same sized eggplant slices to help tower stability. Smaller ramekins for smaller diameter eggplant slices, and larger ramekins for larger diameter eggplant slices are recommended.