Panko Crusted Meatballs with Chef John’s Tomato Basil Masterpiece
Quick to make
1 bag La Famiglia DelGrosso Grandma Murf’s Italian Style Meatballs
1 jar La Famiglia DelGrosso Chef John’s Tomato Basil Masterpiece
½ cup Italian seasoned panko
2 Tbsp dried basil
Fresh basil leaves to garnish
One bag of La Famiglia DelGrosso meatballs has 12 frozen meatballs per bag. They are pre-cooked so the 30 minutes cooking time is to heat through. Cooking longer than 30 minutes will enhance the flavor of the meatballs. For added flavor, add ¼ cup grated Parmesan to the panko basil mixture. Panko is a Japanese word for coarse breadcrumbs.
• Place meatballs and sauce in small pot on medium heat.
• Bring meatballs and sauce to a boil, then cook on low for at least 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
• Remove meatballs from pot and place on a plate for 5 minutes to release steam and to decrease the temperature of the meatballs.
• Place panko in a small bowl, and mix in the dried basil.
• Remove 3 Tbsp of the panko basil mixture for garnish and set aside.
• Roll each meatball in the bowl of panko and basil until completely coated.
• Prepare serving platter by sprinkling the extra 3 Tbsp of the panko basil mixture on platter to garnish.
• Spoon a small amount of sauce on top of the panko and basil garnish in 12 different areas of the platter, one for each meatball.
• Place panko crusted meatballs on top of sauce.
• Garnish with basil leaves.
• Serve with skewers.